Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sakura Trip: Tokyo, Hakone, Takao

Ah, it's that time of the year again where I perform my annual backpacking trip ritual. This year, without doubt I chose Tokyo to see the cherry blossom (sakura); which I've missed it last year.

I took the much coveted flight to Tokyo on the Airbus A380 super jumbo. This has got to be the best aircraft ever built. My entire flight was super quiet and so comfortable. And it has the best suspension systems I must say. During taxiing, take off or landing, I could not feel any bumps or jerks at all.

Click on the image for picture gallery

Tokyo Edo Museum is a very good place to start for a gaijin (foreigner) first-timer in Japan. This museum tells stories from ancient emperor/samurai era and how Japan rises from the ashes of A-bomb to become an ultra modern country. Next to the museum is the Sumo hall. One can catch sumo wrestlers in action at certain days of the week.

Click on the image for picture gallery

I walked the streets of Akihabara and Shinjuku in the evening on my first day. Big mistake! It was freaking winter temperature even though it's spring. It was already 3deg celcius at 7pm. I was a frozen pig that night even under the blanket.

Click on the image for picture gallery

I joined the Hatobus tour on my second day to save me the hassle of transport. The tour brought me to Meiji Jingu shrine, Imperial Palace, Sensoji temple in Asakusa, cruise down Tokyo Bay and Odaiba man-made island.

Click on the image for picture gallery

To get the best view of Tokyo Tower and also the night city view, you have to be at Roppongi area. Head west of Tokyo Tower and find the Roppongi Hills Mori tower. Go to the 52nd floor at night and enjoy a 360deg view of Tokyo lights.

Click on the image for picture gallery

It must be my lucky day. Mori tower has an ongoing display of Ferrari cars on their 52nd floor observatory tower. They even have the Enzo and the sexy SP1 on display!!!

Click on the image for picture gallery

From Shinjuku station, I walked to the west side, full of skyscrapers. I got a very nice day view of Tokyo city from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building. Both their North and South observatory towers are free in admission. One can see Mt. Fuji from here on a clear day. On the east side of Shinjuku station is the shopping district. The back alleys are a little shady; housing numerous "love" hotels and stuffs like that. It's perfectly OK to walk during the day before it turns into red light district at night.

Click on the image for picture gallery

Shinjuku Gyoen park is my playground. This huge park has the best cheery trees around. Not only that, the park also has the best landscape and many other flower/tree species. Boy, I utilized my time and D90 to the max in this park.

Click on the image for picture gallery

Another great place to view the sakura is Chidorigafuchi (Imperial Palace moat). Sakura trees line both sides of the moat and you can even row a boat there. Opposite the moat is the Yasukuni shrine, where they had a big festival there on my visit.

Click on the image for picture gallery

The busy and famous zig-zag crossing at Shibuya; definitely not the place for me. It's a sea of people out there. And the shopping price tag is out of my wallet range. Teenagers dressed up as anime characters and gothic styles gather in Harajuku. Nearby is the Yoyogi park. Not really a nice place to see the cherry blossom in my opinion.

Click on the image for picture gallery

I took some time off from the city and headed to Hakone. It is such a beautiful place and offers so many attractions. If only I knew it, I would have planned more days.

Click on the image for picture gallery

My last few days were spent at Ueno park and Mt. Takao. Ueno is the next best place to see cherry blossom after Shinjuku Gyoen park. It has got the ancient feel. The park has got some really old cherry trees lined up on both sides of the walkway. Nearby attractions are some museums and zoo. Do take note about the crowd on a good sunny day. The queue was so long that it backed all the way from the park to the train station. Climb Mt. Takao on a good day and you'll get to see Mt. Fuji and the city view.

Click on the image for picture gallery

Well, that wraps up my yet another exciting and wonderful trip. I love Tokyo, and I definitely left my heart there for someone special.

No comments: